IMPORTANT NOTICE: THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS (“RULES”) SHALL GOVERN THE IOT INNOVATION CHALLENGE 2018 (“COMPETITION”). BY YOUR ENTRY AND PARTICIPATION IN THE COMPETITION YOU AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THESE RULES. ENTERPRISE SINGAPORE, IPI, COI-EIOT NANYANG POLYTECHNIC, (“ORGANISERS”) RESERVE THE RIGHT TO AT ANY TIME, CANCEL OR AMEND ALL OR ANY PART OF THE COMPETITION AND/OR THE RULES AS IT DEEMS FIT AND WITHOUT NOTICE. IT IS THE PARTICIPANTS’ RESPONSIBILITY TO KEEP THEMSELVES INFORMED AS TO ANY CHANGES TO THE COMPETITION AND/OR THE RULES. IN THE EVENT OF ANY QUESTION OR MATTER ARISING OUT OF ANY POINT THAT IS NOT EXPRESSLY PROVIDED FOR IN ANY OF THE RULES, THE DECISION OF THE ORGANISERS SHALL BE FINAL.
IN THE EVENT OF ANY DISPUTES REGARDING THE RULES, THE CONDUCT OR RESULTS OF THE COMPETITION, OR ANY OTHER MATTER RELATING TO THE COMPETITION, OR THE RESULTS OF THE COMPETITION, THE ORGANISERS’ DECISION SHALL BE FINAL AND UNCHALLENGEABLE AND NO CORRESPONDENCE OR DISCUSSION SHALL BE ENTERED INTO, COMMENT ISSUED, OR REASON GIVEN IN RESPECT OF ANY DECISION MADE BY THE ORGANISERS.
- The Competition will be held during the period from 01 Nov 2018 to 15 Jul 2019, both dates inclusive ("Competition Period"). The Organisers reserve the right in its sole discretion to cancel, modify or suspend the Competition or any part thereof at any time or re-schedule the dates of the Competition or extend the Competition Period.
- THE ORGANISERS MAY TERMINATE OR SUSPEND THE COMPETITION AT ANYTIME AT ITS SOLE AND ABSOLUTE DISCRETION. SUCH TERMINATION OR SUSPENSION WILL NOT GIVE RISE TO ANY CLAIM BY THE PARTICIPANT. THE ORGANISERS RESERVE THE RIGHT NOT TO AWARD FUNDING IF IN ITS OPINION NONE OF SUBMISSIONS RECEIVED IS OF SUFFICIENT MERIT.
- The Competition is open to Singapore-registered start-ups, SMEs, and students from local tertiary institutions. All Participants must be above the age of 18 years old as at the date of entry. Employees of Aztech and Singtel (Competition Partners) may not take part in this competition. Participants without existing company must be prepared to incorporate one with at least 30% local share holding if their entries are chosen to go into prototyping phase, in order to obtain funding for product prototyping, development and manufacturing.
- Participants have to register by submitting a Project Proposal via the official website of the Competition and the same must be received by the Organisers on or before 31 Dec 2018 at 2359 hours Singapore time ("Entry Deadline"). Each submission must be accurate and complete in all aspects and contain all required information. Incomplete or late entries will not be entertained. The Organisers accept no responsibility for any late, lost or misdirected submissions including delays and/or failure of any electronic or telecommunication systems, including but not limited to technical faults and/or network disruptions/congestions. The Organisers are not responsible for any technical or human error which may occur during the registration and/or administration of the Competition.
- Project Proposals with solutions that have received funding from other programmes run by government agencies or statutory boards will be disqualified.
- Submission of an application does not guarantee the applicant the opportunity to participate in the Competition. The Organisers reserve the right in its sole and absolute discretion, to reject or refuse participation of any applicant without providing any reason whatsoever.
- Each Participant (whether individual or team) may only submit one application. Multiple submissions will lead to disqualification. For the avoidance of doubt and for illustration purposes, an individual who is a member of a team under a team application will not be permitted to submit an application as an individual and vice versa.
- Participants may be required by the Organisers to provide further information and shall do so within the timeframe specified by the Organisers for the information to be furnished, failing which the applicant would be deemed to have withdrawn from the Competition.
- The official language of the competition is English. All competition matters, including registration, correspondence, and project submission, etc must be completed in English.
- As part of the registration process for the Competition, applicants will disclose personal information which shall constitute “Personal Data” for the purposes of the Personal Data Protection Act (“PDPA”) of Singapore. Each applicant is deemed to have consented to the Organisers’ collection, use and processing of the said Personal Data and the further consents to the receipt of marketing material from the Organisers and any of its related companies.
- By entering the Competition, each entrant represents and warrants that: (a) the entrant meets all eligibility requirements of the Contest; (b) in entering and participating in the Contest, the entrant has complied and will comply in all respects with these Rules, the Policies, and all applicable statutes, laws (including, without limitation, common law, if applicable), rules and regulations; and (c) the information provided in the entrant's entry, including without limitation all contact information, is true, accurate, and complete in all respects.
IV Team Leaders
- Each team is required to nominate a team leader. The team leader will be the main contact person and representative of the team in the competition. All communication between the organisers and the team will be through the team leader and by email, telephone and/or post to such contact details as are provided at Registration.
- All team members are required to be registered at the Registration Page when submitting the Project Proposal. No changes in the team members are allowed after the form has been submitted.
Semi-finalists and finalists are expected to attend a separate briefing session on funding and comply to the requirements.
V Intellectual Property (IP)
- By registering for the Competition and submitting a Project Proposal, each Participant affirms that the Proposal is his/her/the team’s original work and that the Participant(s) have the necessary rights to submit the Project Proposal. The Participant(s) further warrant that the submission does not violate any law or regulation or any rights of any third party. The Organisers reserve the right to disqualify any Participant that it believes, in its sole and absolute discretion, that the Project Proposal or any part thereof infringes upon or violates the rights of any third party. Participants shall hold harmless the Organisers and their respective officers against any claims or costs relating to a breach of this term.
- For Problem Statements of the competition, Competition Partners shall have the first right to refusal for working with any participants on potential commercialisation of any IP generated during this Competition. Participants shall fully retain their respective background IP rights, unless otherwise agreed between the Competition Partner and the Participant. Alternate arrangements of IP ownership should be negotiated separately between the participants and respective Competition Partners, after proposal submission.
The agreements and arrangements referred to in this clause are between the Participant and the Competition Partner and the Organisers of the event is neither party to these arrangements nor responsible for the same.
- Any false information provided within the context of the Competition by any Participant or non-compliance with any of the Competition Rules, or the like, may result in the immediate elimination of the Participant from the Competition.
VI Terms of Competition Partner
- Participants shall agree to fully observe the terms of the Competition Partners prior to entry into the Competition.
VII Media Usage
- By entering this Competition, Participants consent to the use of their personal data by the Organisers for the purposes of administrating and conducting the Competition and any post-Competition activities and/or publicity. Participants agree to take part in any publicity relating to the Competition as well as to the use of their names and photographs in such publicity.
- Participants acknowledge and agree to participate and cooperate in all media and promotional activities relating to the Competition, including but not limited to being interviewed, photographed and videoed at any time during the Competition Period. Participants grant the Organisers no-royalty/fee, world-wide, perpetual, irrevocable and non-exclusive license to use, reproduce, display and/or create derivative works of such footages and photographs in all media worldwide, including online social media and networking websites without compensation (unless prohibited by law) and without prior inspection or approval. Participants agree to execute additional specific consents to such use if asked to do so.
- Whilst reasonable precaution will be taken by the Organisers and the Competition Partners to ensure safety of all the Participants, each Participant acknowledges and agrees that his or her participation in the Competition is at his or her own risk. Upon registration for the Competition, the Participant agrees to defend, indemnify and hold harmless the Organisers, their subsidiaries/associated companies and the Competition Partners, including their respective officers, employees, contractors and agents, from and against any and all claims, causes of action, damages, obligations, losses (including any loss of opportunity), liabilities (including negligence), personal injuries, costs or debt, and expenses (including attorneys’ fees and costs) and all amounts paid in settlement arising from or relating to, whether directly or indirectly, special or consequential, to the Participant’s participation in the Competition. The Organisers and/or the Competition Partners may assume the exclusive defense and control of any matter for which Participants have agreed to indemnify the Organisers and the Competition Partners. Participants agree to assist and cooperate with the Organisers and the Competition Partners in the defense or settlement of any such matters.
- Each Participant is required to take all appropriate safety measures including obtaining appropriate insurance coverage (if necessary) when designing and developing the prototype and conducting the prototype trials.
- All submitted entries shall be judged by a panel of judges consisting of representatives from Enterprise Singapore, IPI, COI-EIoT, Nanyang Polytechnic, Singtel or Aztech, and their related companies (“Judges”).
- The Judges’ decisions in all matters relating to the Competition, including eligibility of the participants and the selection of the winners, will be final and the Judges shall not be obliged to entertain any correspondence or queries in relation to the same. The Judges shall not be obliged to select a winner if, in their view, none of the Project Proposals is of sufficient merit. Participants are advised to understand the judging criteria well to improve their chances of success.
- The Organisers, the Judges, and the Competition Partners are not obliged to adopt any of the solutions that are developed under this Competition. They may, in their sole discretion, choose to further develop any Project Proposals with any of the teams participating in the Competition.
- The Organisers reserve the right to disqualify entries which, in their sole discretion, are deemed irrelevant, offensive, and/or do not comply with these Rules. The Organisers reserve the right to disqualify or replace any winner if he or she is found to be in breach of these Rules or otherwise disqualified.
- Participants shall not enter their ideas or any part of the Project Proposal (including software, prototypes or products) in another competition or exhibition unless Competition Partners turn down the first right of refusal after the end of the Competition Period.
- From the moment of registration for the Competition, all Participants acknowledges and agrees to be physically present for all meetings, presentation/pitching sessions, prototype testing trial sessions, judging and award ceremony as scheduled by the Organisers (“Events”). At least 1 team member is to be present at any Event to represent the team. However, all team members are encouraged to attend and participate. In the event that the Participant(s) cannot be present, a valid reason must be given as early as possible. Failure to comply may result in the Participant and/or the team being disqualified from the Competition.
- Participant(s) or team(s) that are disqualified from the Competition will be removed from the Competition immediately and will have to refund the full amount of any funding awarded at any point during the course of the Competition (including any extended period), to the Organisers.
- These Rules shall constitute the entire agreement between the Organisers and the Participant and supersede all prior representations, arrangements, understandings and agreements between the Parties (whether oral or written) relating to the subject matter herein contained.
- These Rules shall be construed, governed and interpreted in all respects in accordance with the laws of the Republic of Singapore and the Parties agree to submit all disputes and claims in respect to these Rules to the jurisdiction of the Courts of the Republic of Singapore.
- Participants shall not be entitled to assign any of the rights and obligations under these Rules without the express written consent of the Organisers.
- Nothing in these Rules shall operate so as to create a partnership or joint venture of any kind between the Parties.
- The Organisers reserve the right to amend the Rules at their discretion and without having to give prior notification. The Participant will be notified of the change after the terms are updated.